Formerly known as the Pierre Delmas Award from 2006 to 2013, the new President's Award now honours six individuals from different regions who have made a significant and unstinting contribution to the advancement of the work of the IOF, through furthering one or more of the mission statements and/or goals of the Foundation. It will be awarded every year during the World Congress on Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases.
Dr Radmila Matijevic (ASTAS, Serbia) and Dr Greg Lyubomirsky (Osteoporosis Australia) received the award in 2019 at the World Congress on Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases held in Paris, France in April 2019.
Hans Peter Dimai, Professor of Medicine and Endocrinology at the Medical University of Graz, Austria, was presented with award at the World Congress on Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases in Krakow, Poland in April 2018. Professor Dimai is a distinguished leader in the osteoporosis and bone field who has made longstanding contributions to IOF and its international programmes, most notably the IOF-ISCD Osteoporosis Essentials training course. As a member of IOF’s scientific committee and through his dedication to advancing healthcare professional education within Austria and in the German-speaking countries, he has contributed significantly to the IOF mission to foster education and training in the musculoskeletal field.
These prestigious awards were presented at the World Congress on Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases in Florence, Italy. The winners were:
- ASIA-PACIFIC – Kerrie Sanders (Australia)
- LATIN AMERICA – Jorge Morales Torres (Mexico)
- MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA – Leith Zakraoui (Tunisia)
- NORTH AMERICA – David Kendell
- EASTERN EUROPE – Vidmantas Alekna (Lithuania), Marija Tamulaitiene (Lithuania)
- WESTERN EUROPE – Stefan Goemaere (Belgium)
The awards were presented at the IOF-ESCEO World Congress on Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases in Malaga, Spain. The winners were:
- ASIA – Dr Ambrish Mithal
- LATIN AMERICA – Prof. Patricia Clark
- MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA – Prof. Leith Zakraoui
- NORTH AMERICA – Dr Famida Jiwa
- OCEANIA – Paul Mitchell
- EASTERN EUROPE – Prof. Andrea Ildikó Gáspárik
- SOUTHERN EUROPE – Prof. Jorge B. Cannata Andia
- WESTERN EUROPE – Prof. Thierry Thomas
The awards were presented at the IOF-ESCEO World Congress on Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases in Milan, Italy. The winners were:
- ASIA-PACIFIC – Prof. Liu Zhonghou, China
- EASTERN EUROPE – Prof. Edward Czerwinski, Poland
- LATIN AMERICA – Prof. Cristiano Zerbini, Brazil
- MIDDLE EAST – Dr. Gemma Adib, Syria
- WESTERN EUROPE – Dr. Marius Kraenzlin, Switzerland
- SOUTHERN EUROPE - Dr. Şansin Tüzün, Turkey
- NORTH AMERICA – Dr. Michael McClung, USA
The awards were presented at the IOF-ESCEO World Congress on Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases in Seville, Spain. The winners were:
- ASIA-PACIFIC – Prof. Peter Ebeling, Australia
- EASTERN EUROPE – Prof. Olga Lesnyak, Russia
- LATIN AMERICA – Dr Osvaldo Daniel Messina, Argentina
- MIDDLE EAST – Dr Basel Masri, Jordan
- WESTERN EUROPE – Prof. Johann Ringe, Germany
- NORTH AMERICA – Prof. Paul D. Miller, USA
Professor Socrates Papapoulos, a long standing member of the IOF Board and leading researcher at the Leiden University Medical Center, was the recipient of the prestigious Pierre Delmas Award 2013. The award was presented at the European Congress on Osteoporosis & Osteoarthritis in Rome, Italy.
Professor Bess Dawson-Hughes, Director of the Bone Metabolism Laboratory at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University and Professor of Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine, was named the winner of Pierre Delmas Award in March 2012. Professor Dawson-Hughes is on the IOF Board of Governance and Committee of Scientific Advisors, and has been appointed IOF General Secretary.
Professor José Zanchetta, a member of the IOF Board and long standing leader of the IOF Latin American Programme, was the recipient of the prestigious Pierre Delmas Award in 2010. Prof. Zanchetta is a researcher and specialist in osteology and nephrology, and is CEO and Principle Investigator at the Instituto de Investigaciones Metabolicas (IDIM) in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Professor Jean-Yves Reginster of Belgium, a founding member of the IOF and IOF General Secretary from 1998 to 2007, was awarded the prestigious Pierre Delmas Award in 2008. The award was presented by Professor Cyrus Cooper, Chair of the IOF Committee of Scientific Advisors, at an award ceremony held on at the opening of the ECCEO9-IOF Meeting in Athens in 2009. Prof. Reginster is a well know researcher who has been instrumental in the creation and growth of IOF, placing his great expertise in the service of IOF and the osteoporosis community as a whole.
The first winner of this prestigious award was Dr. Ghassan Maalouf, IOF Board member at the time. When presenting the award, Professor Pierre Delmas (at the time IOF President) noted, "Dr. Ghassan Maalouf has worked tirelessly to broaden the membership of the IOF. He has been one of the most active members of the IOF Board and is a rare individual able to bring together members of patient societies, scientists and policy makers." Dr. Maalouf is an orthopaedic surgeon at Saint George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon.