Chair: K Åkesson, K Javaid
Members: ML Brandi, M Chandran, T Chevalley, C Cooper, P Fardellone, S Goemaere, J Goldhahn, N Harvey, G Holzer, W Lems, M Lewiecki, GP Lyritis, N Napoli, J Paccou, S Silverman, M Sosa, T Thomas
To integrate orthopaedic and medical aspects of treatment and proposing projects which aim to improve standard of care and primary management of fracture patients suffering from osteoporosis.
- Understand the effect of osteoporotic fracture treatment on bone healing.
- Review and promote the best clinical practices in the management of osteoporotic fracture patients within the international orthopaedic community.
- Develop synergic collaborations (clinical pathways) between orthopaedics and allied health professionals to prevent subsequent fractures.
- Capture the Fracture® – in progress: surveys and statistics, benefit calculator, mentorship programme
- Vertebral fracture assessment (VFA): work to implement VFA into fracture liaison services
- Educational course targeting patients with a recent fragility fracture
- Javaid, M.K., et al., Effective secondary fracture prevention: implementation of a global benchmarking of clinical quality using the IOF Capture the Fracture® Best Practice Framework tool. Osteoporos Int, 2015. 26(11): p. 2573-8.
- Akesson, K., et al., Capture the Fracture®: a Best Practice Framework and global campaign to break the fragility fracture cycle. Osteoporos Int, 2013. 24(8): p. 2135-52.
- Marsh, D., et al., Coordinator-based systems for secondary prevention in fragility fracture patients. Osteoporos Int, 2011. 22(7): p. 2051-65.
- Boonen, S., et al., Balloon kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty in the management of vertebral compression fractures. Osteoporos Int, 2011. 22(12): p. 2915-34.