Epidemiology / Quality of Life
Chairs: JA Kanis, D Prieto-Alhambra
Members: B Abrahamsen, J Adachi, F Borgström, O Bruyère, J Carey, P Clark, C Cooper, E Curtis, E Dennison, M Diaz Curiel, HP Dimai, D Gregorie, N Harvey, M Hiligsmann, H Johansson, P Khashayar, E Lau, M Lewiecki, P Lips, R Lorenc, M Lorentzon, E McCloskey, S Ortolani, A Papaioannou, D Prieto Alhambra, JY Reginster, S Silverman, M Sosa, P Szulc, K Ward, N Yoshimura
The Epidemiology/Quality of Life Working Group establishes projects which aim to estimate the epidemiology of osteoporosis around the world, to evaluate the impact of fragility fractures on health-related quality of life and finally to measure the direct and indirect cost of osteoporotic fractures worldwide.
- Further develop the fracture risk assessment tool (FRAX®) by increasing its international scope and its use in clinical practice/development of FRAXplus/development of FRAX2.0
- Estimate the cost and quality of life following a hip fracture, a vertebral fracture and a wrist fracture in different countries, through the International Cost and Utilities Related to Osteoporotic fractures Study (ICUROS)
- Lifecourse: importance of addressing the risk of osteoporosis across the whole lifecourse
- Provide new data on the global epidemiology and impact of osteoporotic fracture worldwide
- Screening for fracture risk
- Risk Communication on Osteoporosis (RICO)
- Chotiyarnwong P. et al., Is it time to consider population screening for fracture risk in postmenopausal women? A position paper from the International Osteoporosis Foundation Epidemiology/Quality of Life Working Group. Arch Osteoporos. 2022 Jun 28;17(1):87. doi: 10.1007/s11657-022-01117-6.
- McCloskey EV, et al., Population screening for fracture risk in postmenopausal women - a logical step in reducing the osteoporotic fracture burden? Osteoporos Int. 2022 Aug;33(8):1631-1637. doi: 10.1007/s00198-022-06419-6.
- Lesnyak O, Svedbom A, Belova K, Dobrovolskaya O, Ershova O, Golubev G, Grebenshikov V, Ivanov S, Kochish A, Menshikova L, Nikitinskaya O, Nurligayanov R, Solodovnikov A, Toroptsova N, Varavko J, Zotkin E, Borgstrom F, Kanis JA. Quality of Life After Fragility Fracture in the Russian Federation: Results From the Russian Arm of the International Cost and Utility Related to Osteoporotic Fractures Study (ICUROS) Arch Osteoporos . 2020 Mar 2;15(1):37. doi: 10.1007/s11657-020-0699-6.
- Dennison, E.M., et al., Fracture risk following intermission of osteoporosis therapy. Osteoporos Int, 2019.
- Lorentzon, M., et al., Extensive undertreatment of osteoporosis in older Swedish women. Osteoporos Int, 2019. 30(6): p. 8297-1305.
- Kanis, J.A., et al., A systematic review of intervention thresholds based on FRAX : A report prepared for the National Osteoporosis Guideline Group and the International Osteoporosis Foundation. Arch Osteoporos, 2016. 11(1): p. 25.
- Jurisson, M., et al., Quality of life, resource use, and costs related to hip fracture in Estonia. Osteoporos Int, 2016. 27(8): p. 2555-66.
- Silverman, S., et at., Bisphosphonate drug holidays: we reap what we sow. Osteoporosis Int, 2015. 27(3): p. 849-852.
- Abimanyi-Ochom, J., et al., Changes in quality of life associated with fragility fractures: Australian arm of the International Cost and Utility Related to Osteoporotic Fractures Study (AusICUROS). Osteoporos Int, 2015. 26(6): p. 1781-90.
- Kanis, J.A., et al., Worldwide uptake of FRAX. Arch Osteoporos, 2014. 9: p. 166.
- Kanis, J.A., et al., Standardising the descriptive epidemiology of osteoporosis: recommendations from the Epidemiology and Quality of Life Working Group of IOF. Osteoporos Int, 2013. 24(11): p. 2763-4.
- Borgstrom, F., et al., The International Costs and Utilities Related to Osteoporotic Fractures Study (ICUROS)--quality of life during the first 4 months after fracture. Osteoporos Int, 2013. 24(3): p. 811-23.
- Kanis, J.A., et al., A systematic review of hip fracture incidence and probability of fracture worldwide. Osteoporos Int, 2012. 23(9): p. 2239-56.
- Dimai, H.P., et al., Economic burden of osteoporotic fractures in Austria. Health Econ Rev, 2012. 2(1): p. 12.
- Cooper, C., et al., Secular trends in the incidence of hip and other osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporos Int, 2011. 22(5): p. 1277-88.
- Lips, P., et al., Validation of the IOF quality of life questionnaire for patients with wrist fracture. Osteoporos Int, 2010. 21(1): p. 61-70.