Metabolic bone disease is a common complication of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and involves a broad spectrum of disorders of mineral metabolism that result in both skeletal and extra-skeletal consequences.
A new special issue of Calcified Tissue International brings together a comprehensive series of state-of-the-art reviews which discuss key issues in CKD and mineral and bone disorders, known as CKD-MBD. Authored by a multidisciplinary group of leading international experts, the wide-ranging reviews aim to improve the understanding and management of CKD-MBD, and advance interdisciplinary knowledge.
Professors René Rizzoli and Stuart Ralston, Editors of Calcified Tissue International, stated:
“We greatly thank the authors for their contributions and the guest editors Professors J. B Cannata-Andía, N. Carrillo-López, and A. Ferreira, for curating this excellent series of reviews. The special issue brings together multidisciplinary expertise and covers many key topics of great importance to the field. We hope that these contributions will help to foster interaction among the diverse specializations involved in CKD-MBD research and clinical management.”
The special issue comprises the following editorial and twelve invited reviews:
1. Editorial: Cannata-Andía, J., Carrillo-López, N. & Ferreira, A. Bone in CKD, a Fascinating Evolving Topic.
Calcif Tissue Int (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-021-00821-8
2. Cannata-Andía, J.B., Martín-Carro, B., Martín-Vírgala, J. et al. Chronic Kidney Disease—Mineral and Bone Disorders: Pathogenesis and Management. Calcif Tissue Int (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-020-00777-1
3. Santos, F., Díaz-Anadón, L., Ordóñez, F.A. et al. Bone Disease in CKD in Children.
Calcif Tissue Int (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-020-00787-z
4. Carrillo-López, N., Martínez-Arias, L., Fernández-Villabrille, S. et al. Role of the RANK/RANKL/OPG and Wnt/β-Catenin Systems in CKD Bone and Cardiovascular Disorders. Calcif Tissue Int (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-020-00803-2
5. Mazzaferro, S., Bagordo, D., De Martini, N. et al. Inflammation, Oxidative Stress, and Bone in Chronic Kidney Disease in the Osteoimmunology Era. Calcif Tissue Int (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-020-00794-0
6. Leal, D.V., Ferreira, A., Watson, E.L. et al. Muscle-Bone Crosstalk in Chronic Kidney Disease: The Potential Modulatory Effects of Exercise. Calcif Tissue Int (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-020-00782-4
7. Fusaro, M., Cianciolo, G., Evenepoel, P. et al. Vitamin K in CKD Bone Disorders.
Calcif Tissue Int (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-020-00792-2
8. Ferreira, A.C., Cohen-Solal, M., D’Haese, P.C. et al. The Role of Bone Biopsy in the Management of CKD-MBD.
Calcif Tissue Int (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-021-00838-z
9. Komaba, H., Ketteler, M., Cunningham, J. et al. Old and New Drugs for the Management of Bone Disorders in CKD.
Calcif Tissue Int (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-020-00788-y
10. Jørgensen, H.S., David, K., Salam, S. et al. Traditional and Non-traditional Risk Factors for Osteoporosis in CKD. Calcif Tissue Int (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-020-00786-0
11. Bover, J., Ureña-Torres, P., Cozzolino, M. et al. The Non-invasive Diagnosis of Bone Disorders in CKD.
Calcif Tissue Int (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-020-00781-5
12. Pimentel A et al (2020) Bone fragility fractures in CKD patients.
Calcif Tissue Int. https:// doi. org/ 10. 1007/ s00223- 020- 00779-z
13. Torregrosa, JV., Ferreira, A.C., Cucchiari, D. et al. Bone Mineral Disease After Kidney Transplantation.
Calcif Tissue Int (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-021-00837-0
About Calcified Tissue International & Musculoskeletal Research
Calcified Tissue International & Musculoskeletal Research is a peer-reviewed journal which publishes original preclinical, translational and clinical research, and reviews concerning the structure and function of bone, and other musculoskeletal tissues in living organisms, as well as clinical studies of musculoskeletal disease. It includes studies of cell biology, molecular biology, intracellular signalling, and physiology, as well as research into the hormones, cytokines and other mediators that influence the musculoskeletal system. The journal also publishes clinical studies of relevance to bone disease, mineral metabolism, muscle function, and musculoskeletal interactions. https://www.springer.com/journal/223
Editors in Chief: Stuart Ralston and René Rizzoli; Musculoskeletal Research Section Editor: Roger Fielding.
The International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) is the world's largest nongovernmental organization dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis and related musculoskeletal diseases. IOF members, including committees of scientific researchers as well as more than 260 patient, medical and research societies, work together to make fracture prevention and healthy mobility a worldwide heath care priority.